With the addition of Eevee, we had to update our built-in material preview, which didn't work with it. This has prompted a larger update to the material preview.
The project makes use of work done by Robin Marin (Tuqueque) who put together some new material preview shapes. This has been adapted for use in the material preview.
**List of changes**
- Added Shader Ball, Cloth & Fluid preview shapes
- Replaced mesh lights with light objects, which work in both Eevee & Cycles.
- Made the preview scene work with Eevee, with an Irradiance Volume and Light Probe
- Added slight bevel to the cube
- Objects have more subdivisions for previewing displacement.
- Fixed & improved UV mapping for all shapes
- Added the new icons for the new preview types.
- Small changes to the Blender source code to support this new material preview
Here are some images that give an idea of what the new preview looks like:
Preview blend file:
Issues to be addressed:
- Preview now is the wrong height by default to fit with the the new list of preview types
- World Sphere is still here, but I think we should either remove it, or make it a separate toggle, so that it can be combined with any preview shape
I would welcome some testing on this material preview with many types of materials.