As part of the Vertex Paint development in Grease Pencil, we have detected some missing features in Palettes and we have decided to fix it, because Palettes look a little outdate and without improvements for several versions.
* We haven't a default palette.
* Palette colors cannot be move up/down in the list.
* Colors cannot be sorted.
* Colors haven't name.
* Palettes cannot be joinned.
* templatePalette control UI is outdated.
* Lack of import palettes from other softwares.
About default palette, in grease pencil we have implemented a default palette similar to Krita/GImp palette. This palette is required by GPencil, but it would be good idea to set this default palette in Texture Paint and Vertex Paint for meshes too.
Currently, I have solved the Sorting, Moving, Join and some Import modules in Grease Pencil branch, but the list above is the initial ideas.