- the previous wiki installation has been locked for edits and moved to: https://en.blender.org/index.php
- there is a new wiki install at: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/
**Wiki Migration Plan:**
[X] Bake the old wiki as static HTML and place it at https://archive.wiki.blender.org . @tkeskita
- The baked pages should look as before and links should work. However, editing functionality and mediawiki features such as the chat and special pages will be lost.
- Possible approach to do this: http://camwebb.info/blog/2012-12-20/
[X] Make a redirect page for broken links. @brita_
[X] Release Notes: Remove the copy of the old Release Notes and make direct links to the archived version. @brita_
[X] Add-ons: Make direct links to the archived version. This is a temporary working solution until there is a decision for new system in T54097. @brita_
[X] Technical Docs: Copy and organize Dev:Doc and Dev:Source @brita_ It's ongoing work to organize and update the wiki contents. But I consider it to be "ported" by now.
[X] Landing Page: See T57987 @fsiddi, @brita_
[X] Theme @fsiddi
- [X] Improved layout and look with Boostrap4.
- [X] Navigation and Search.
- [X] Import commonly used templates. @brita_
- Ensure the templates work well with the theme. @brita_
- [X] Shorthands to redirect and link to the archived wiki. @brita_
- [X] Document the existing templates and best practices. @brita_
 Delete the old read-only PHP wiki. @dmcgrath
- [On hold] until:
** it is no longer needed to copy the content source, and
** there is the static HTML version.
---- Original task details below ------
NOTE: The new Wiki is in it's transitional phase atm.
It’s goal is much more limited than previous one, basically this is a
developer/module team members tool to share technical docs. It should
also have general help info like setting up a new build of blender, some
code architecture docs, etc.
Moving a subset of old wiki pages is on-going process.
Old wiki shall be locked (made read-only) in a few weeks, proposed date
is June 15th. That means that developpers (also including GSoC students)
should request accounts on new wiki if they do not have one already, and
move their pages there.
Note that once in read-only state, it will still be possible to access
and copy wiki-markup content of the pages!
Recently Dan set up a fresh install of Media Wiki and migrated the old pages to it. This can be found at https://en.blender.org
To set up an account (developers only) just informally poke a wiki administrator for now
[these are @campbellbarton, @brecht, @sybren, @dmcgrath atm]
There are still several todos
- We should keep the theme as close to the original to make maintenance easy.
- Remove the wiki versions (2.4, 2.5, 2.6) and instead only have one that is alway the latest.
- Make all pages independent. Pages like https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/msvc/CMake are really confusing to edit.
- Remove namespaces, so [[Building_Blender/Windows]] instead of [[Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows]] (can be done after creation by "moving" the page)
Excluded from Wiki Migration
There are a couple of sections that mostly contain historic content and it is preferred to not port these over
(but this has to be checked carefully -- if in doubt, ask around... help in these decissions is welcome!)
* [X] drop Pydev docs? (https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts)
What still needs to be done
* [X] Building
* [X] Tools
* [X] Developer Introduction
*  port Architecture docs (this is higher priority but needs special care to make sure we dont port "out-of-date" information)
*  Bmesh
*  RNA / DNA
* [X] rewrite/drop Projects section? (https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects) (dropped for now)
*  port Addon catalogue / docs (these will be moved to the blender manual [https://docs.blender.org/manual] though -- some of the docs already made their way into the new wiki but have to be moved again [to manual]), also see T54097
* [X] move Todo section (https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Development/Todo) to phabricator (parent) tasks. This way intern-linking (existing) phabricator TODO tasks is just more useful, too. As a first step, this has now been brought over in its current stats, see T55361 (and subtasks). These will now have to be cleaned up to remove "out-of-date" content.
* [X] Tools
* [X] Render
* [X] User Interface
* [X] Animation System
* [X] Game Engine (exclude this)
* [X] Editors
* [X] Breaking Backward Compatibility
* [X] Scripting
* [X] Import Export
* [X] Building Software
* [X] Installation, Environment
* [X] Regression Tests
* [X] User Based Todo (exclude this)
* [X] port Release Logs over (this is lower priority but does not require checking if content is out of date). For older releases up until 2.78 it was decided to just link to the old/archived wiki for now (lots of broken links / missing content / not subject to further editing anyways...).
* [X] Blender 2.80 (under development) note: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/ hasnt been ported (yet?)
* [X] [real port] Blender 2.79 (latest stable release)
* [X] Blender 2.78
* [X] Blender 2.77
* [X] Blender 2.76
* [X] Blender 2.75
* [X] Blender 2.74
* [X] Blender 2.73
* [X] Blender 2.72
* [X] Blender 2.71
* [X] Blender 2.70
* [X] Blender 2.69
* [X] Blender 2.68
* [X] Blender 2.67
* [X] Blender 2.66
* [X] Blender 2.65
* [X] Blender 2.64
* [X] Blender 2.63
* [X] Blender 2.62
* [X] Blender 2.61
* [X] Blender 2.60
* [X] Blender 2.59
* [X] Blender 2.58
* [X] Blender 2.57
* [X] Blender 2.56
* [X] Blender 2.55
* [X] Blender 2.54
* [X] Blender 2.53
* [X] Blender 2.52
* [X] Blender 2.51
* [X] Blender 2.50
* [X] Blender 2.49
* [X] Blender 2.48
* [X] Blender 2.47
* [X] Blender 2.46
* [X] Blender 2.45
* [X] Blender 2.44
* [X] Blender 2.43
* [X] Blender 2.42
* [X] Blender 2.41
* [X] Blender 2.40