This is task is for a port of the "Data Transfer" modifier to a node.
* The "Mix Mode", "Mix Factor", and "Vertex Group" options can be removed, replaced by more attribute nodes after the transfer. This makes sense because the transfer of attributes between data should be the focus of this node, not what to do with them after.
* Attributes are referred to **by name**. Therefore, a single attribute should be copied.
** A later improvement to the node could be to copy multiple attributes, maybe with a multi-socket input node.
* The "Generate Data Layers" operator can be removed, since it is not needed to create new data on the output geometry.
* The "Domain" drop-down chooses which domain to create the result attribute on. The data type is chosen based on the source attribute.
* The "Mapping" drop-down has a few options:
** "Nearest": Copies attributes from the nearest element of the domain of the source attribute.
** "Nearest Interpolated": Similar to what happens in the point distribute node, interpolates values from the nearest vertices or edges on the closest face
** "Topology": Requires the topology of the target geometry to be the same, so really more of an "Attribute Copy" operation, otherwise outputs an error.
** More options may be necessary based on the choice for the destination domain.
* How many of the options are necessary for most use cases? The answer is unclear. More feedback is necessary from artists for this question.
** The "Max Distance" and "Ray Radius" options may be necessary.
It's not clear how much the existing data transfer code would be useful, my guess is not much.
The "Attribute Proximity" node already does the same thing with the "position" attribute, so some logic could be shared with that.