Minimal Keymap Proposal
This is a proposal for a new minimum keymap.
- Note that a full 2.7x keymap will be available.
- `(??)` decision is disputable.
To let go of the notion we can assign useful keys for many actions and accept users will have specific workflows which favor different areas of Blender,
to leave room for users to map keys for their own use.
//This focus on the 3D view, similar kinds of decisions will be made for other editors.//
- Keep 'core application' keys:
- Save / Open / Exit
- Undo / Redo
- Copy / Paste
- RMB Context menu for UI
- Keep 'generic application' keys:
- Toggle Fullscreen
- User interface keys toggle toolbar (??)
- Switching Editor Types (??)
- User button keys (snapping, eyedropper, copy/paste etc)
- Tool Bar
- Keep 'core' keys
The definition of core keys is fuzzy,
in one part this is for frequently used features,
another aspect is they access core funcitonality shared between many editors.
- Mode Switching: Tab (used in 3D view, node groups, meta-strips), including tab pie menu.
- Transform: Grab / Rotate / Scale
- Selection: Toggle / Invert / Hide / Reveal / Linked
- Selection Interactive: Circle / Border / Lasso
- Delete / Disolve (Delete key only)
- Extrude / Ctrl-Click Extrude
- Object Mode: Insert/remove keyframe
- Object Mode: Move to collection
- F12 Render (??)
- Z-Key, all shading keys to toggle wire / x-ray (??)
- Toggle Animation Playback (??)
- Arrow Keys for changing frame
- Keep 'navigation' keys
- Other keys such as home to reset zoom view, page up/down for 2D views that use it.
- Numpad navigation.
- Border zoom (??)
- Keep *some* Advanced actions
This is not clear cut and an exception to the rule, there are some keys which important to using Blender
efficiently that we would like to keep them.
Note that a factor in picking these are tools you can't usefully run from a menu.
- Edit Mesh Loop, Ring & Path Select
- Edit Mesh Rip
- Square brackets for brush size (common convention)
- UV unwrap (??)
- Snap Menu (??)
- Keep 'generic menu' Keys
- Specials, Quick Menu
- Add Menu.
- Edit Mesh Vert/Edge/Face menus
- Select Linked
- Select Grouped (??)
So far the list includes things to keep.
Here is a list of keys which will likely be removed.
- F-Keys 1..10
- Ctrl-W Save
- Link, Append
- User Preferences
- Save Startup
- F1 Open (use Ctrl-O)
- New Window
- Screenshot / ScreenCast
- Region Flip
- Script Reload
- Mode switching keys other than tab (vkey vertex paint, Ctrl-tab for pose mode).
- Make single user.
- Make track
- Proportional Edit Mode Toggle
- Repeat last action
- Adjust last (F6)
- Fly mode
- Recalculate Normals (??)
- Triangulate/Tris to quads (??)
- Make vertex parent
Note: Currently adding shortcuts in certain cases is difficult and you practically need to be a developer to know to create the keymap item.
If we expect users to be more heavily editing their keymaps, we should make it easier to assign keys to toggle booleans, enums - for eg.
- Make region flip (F5) available in a menu (was completely UN-discoverable).
- Show `OBJECT_OT_proxy_make` in a menu (or not if static overrides replace it).
- Recalc normals is now shift-N //(kept because it's a generic binding used to recalculate mesh normals, bone roll, curves handles, mask handles)//.