This is an attempt to integrate the most important parts of the Filmic configuration into the existing Blender configuration in a backwards compatible way, so that we can add it to 2.79.
- "Filmic" and "False Color" view transforms added (sRGB display device only).
- "Low/Base/High Contrast" looks added.
- Added special filtering so that Filmic only shows look names prefixed with "Filmic - ".
There's been a long discussion in D2547 about the best way to do all this, but personally I have no time to work on deeper changes now and any breaking changes will be for 2.8 anyway. So to me it seems we can either do something more limited like this now, or postpone Filmic integration entirely to 2.8.
- The results appear to be identical to the original Filmic config, but I left out some parts like the renaming of color spaces, BT.1886, grayscale and new roles. Some of those things might be worth adding as well if they are backwards compatible.
- The looks filtering is weak, ideally OCIO would provide some way to do this, but it helps until we can break compatibility and perhaps remove the old film response curves.
- The filmic log and false color 3D LUTs are about 8MB each, which is pretty big. It may be possible to make these smaller and read faster with a different file format, or is this spi3d text file format the best we can do?
- Is there any documentation on how these 3D LUTs were generated and what they do exactly? Is the sRGB EOTF baked into them somehow? Is there a program or command that can be used to regenerate them?
- The view transforms menu now has "Film" and "Filmic" entries which is confusing, we could consider renaming these to avoid confusion, any suggestions? It could be done in the UI only for compatibility.