Page MenuHome

Tiled Voronoi Noise : Cycles, Eevee and OSL
Needs ReviewPublic

Authored by Charlie Jolly (charlie) on Sep 28 2018, 1:13 AM.
Tokens
"Love" token, awarded by karmacop."100" token, awarded by januz."Love" token, awarded by michaelknubben."Like" token, awarded by Ko."Love" token, awarded by monio.

Details

Reviewers
Brecht Van Lommel (brecht)
Group Reviewers
Cycles
Eevee
Summary

This patch adds the following features to Voronoi noise.

+ Tile option, when selected the texture is created using a seamless method.
+ Additional distance metrics.

+ Jitter option. When set to zero this relaxes the voronoi cells. This uses a normal socket so can be set for XYZ axis
+ Coords output. Exposes the coordinates in each cell
+ Cell. Exposes the cell position relative to the input coordinates. This can be used for stained glass window effects.

Known issues:
+ Eeevee seems to not get the same normal inputs when using the built in node normal ui. When set usin a single value or combine XYZ there is no issue.

Diff Detail

Repository
rB Blender

Event Timeline

Fix tiling when color option is used.

Change tileable option name to periodic. This matches name used in Gabor patch and is more accurate in how the option works relative to scale.

This seems incredibly useful! Would a "Voronoi Cracks" version also be possible?

There seems to be a purely node based solution at Blender Stack Exchange which works great, but it is kind of slow and heavy.
I would hope a native one would preform better

We got a native crackle a while ago, grab a nightly build at http://builder.blender.org and enjoy.

We got a native crackle a while ago, grab a nightly build at http://builder.blender.org and enjoy.

Yes we do, hadn't even noticed yet. I can't keep up with the astonishing development speed any more.
Never mind that, sorry for the noise and thanks for the great work.

Excuse my noobishness, did I get right that this diff didn't get committed as of yet? When can we expect it if so?
Thanks

Maybe I did something really stupid, but I couldn't apply the patch to the recent master, and neither could I figure out what was the last commit this patch would work on, so I manually (and a bit painfully) introduced the changes and managed to make it build after fixing a few implicit conversions which appear to be disallowed by the compiler options (taking warnings as errors, I think).

I tested it and it seems to work well (yay!), and couldn't see any related warnings in the terminal while running. And what's more, I even had the brains to make the changes in a new local branch and figured out how to roll out a diff between the master and local branch!

So I attached that diff in case anyone's interested. It should apply without problem to the following master commit ( if I got this right ;) ): 10bf1d9ac1a40379bda2883d82beb320a8c99c82

With this I was able to generate something similar to a tileable water caustics texture which I can now use for games and stuff :)

So THANKS A LOT for your hard work, @Charlie Jolly (charlie) !! and I hope this gets reviewed and committed soon!