Currently, we put ID dropdowns inside each relavant Properties area, except for Scene and View Layer. Instead, these are in the top right of the window.
My issues with this are:
- It's inconsistent
- It adds lots of clutter to the window that you seldom need to worry about (scenes and view layers are overall quite marginal features)
- It adds a double-X issue on Windows, where there are then two X icons next to each other (window close and View Layer close)
- It takes away space from the Workspaces
It's trivial to add them to their respective Properties sections, so I did, in this patch.
In the Properties it looks like this:
The top bar is now free of clutter:
This is especially beneficial to Windows, where the window close button is on the right.
...and there is more room for Workspaces:
I find this to look a lot cleaner overall. If I need to see the name of the active scene or view layer, I can see it in the Outliner. So I don't even think it's necessary, even if you do use those features.
- Less clutter when you don't need it
- Can still see active scene & view layer inside the Outliner, for the times when you do
- No double-X problem on Windows
- Consistent Properties
- More space for Workspaces