The mode selection dropdown lists are inconsistent across the editor headers that use them (3D view, Graph, Dopesheet, Image, MCE, Outliner).
- Some modes are called editors (e.g. F-Curve editor). Using the term editor is incorrect.
- Most modes do not have the word "mode" after them (e.g. in MCE: Tracking; Reconstruction; Distortion; Mask) while some do (e.g. Object mode). Having "mode" is redundant.
- The word "Mode" appears at the top of all lists except the 3D view editor. Inconsistency.
- For all editors except the 3D view, a tooltip is not shown for a list item when the list is expanded. Inconsistency and means no guidance for mode selection.
- The 3D view list items all have the same tooltip ("Sets the object interaction mode"). Inconsistency and means no guidance for mode selection.
- The 3D view shows a partial tooltip when the list is closed (other editors have the full current mode tooltip). Inconsistency.
- Some mode tooltips could be improved (e.g Image, Paint mode: 2D image painting mode and MCE: Mask mode: Show mask editing tools). Better guidance for selection.
- The main tooltip could be improved - it's a mode selector but the tooltip refers to context (i.e. "Editing context being displayed"). Better guidance overall.
I have started working on this already. A lot of the inconsistency is caused by the 3D view header being called and executed in a different way from the other headers.
The reason why I am raising this task is to validate the proposed changes being:
- Remove any instance of editor in list item (done).
- Remove any instance or mode in list item (done)
- Mode should appear at top of 3D view list (to do)
- Tooltips should always appear over list items (to do)
- 3D view list items should have their own tooltips (done - see suggestions below)
- 3D view mode mode should show current mode tooltip as well (to do)
- Suggested list to be provided once first round of suggestions below are validated (to do)
- Any suggestion for a replacement or leave as is (to do)
Proposed 3D view tooltips:
OBJECT: "Manipulate objects",
EDIT: "Edit object mesh or armature"
SCULPT: "Edit mesh using sculpt tools"
VERTEX_PAINT: "Paint object's vertices"
WEIGHT_PAINT: "Edit object's vertex weights"
TEXTURE_PAINT: "Paint on object's selected UV Map"
PARTICLE_EDIT: "Edit particle system using brushes"
POSE: "Transform bones in armature"