- We have a translation repository setup with [German, French and Russian] language templates committed: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BMT
- Initial documentation on how to build with translations: https://www.blender.org/manual/about/translations/index.html
We need to formalize how to handle translations. Follow up on http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-docboard/2014-November/004600.html.
The sphinx-intl project is well supported and has been tested to work with a snapshot of the Blender-Manual.
Rather than having multiple separate manuals, we would instead maintain translated strings (common for translating applications).
See: sphinx-intl https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sphinx-intl
basic workflow is:
- Generate POT files
- Generate language specific PO files.
- PO files are committed to source control (we might have a separate repo for these)
- Translators edit PO files (tools like https://poedit.net// are apparently good).
- Docs can be built with a translation applied.
Web Based Translation Software (currently not in use)
Eventually, we may want to look into using web-based translation software.
Some existing software exists: