Translators may provide below in comments their issues with precise description (where/what [in UI and PO messages], and what are the different meanings behind same English word that are the problem).
Solution (or not :/ ) will then be decided on a case by case basis (using an existing i18n context, adding new ones, or simply tweaking original UI message).
Current Known Issues
Addressed issues will be erased after every release to clean up things…
From @Gabriel Gazzán (gab3d):
- Cycles meaning either: 'the render engine' or 'animation loops'.
- Light meaning either: 'lamp' or 'lightweight'.
- Translation meaning either: 'change in position' or 'to translate to another language'.
- Parent/Child/Children meaning either: 'parent/child of a hierarchy' or 'main/secondary emitted particles'.
Don't think this is a valid distinction, particles also imply hierarchical relationship, just like between objects…
- Mirror meaning either: 'a symmetry related thing' or 'the reflective property of a material'. Cannot find any case of Mirror in material context, is that still relevant?
- Drag meaning either: 'mouse drag' or 'dynamics drag force'.
- Add meaning either: 'the Add blend mode / boolean-type operations' or 'to add a new object'.
- Root meaning either: 'the root of a hair' or 'root falloff type'.
- Volume meaning either: 'volume of some 3D entity' or 'volumetrics, in general' (or 'sound volume' which I know is already independent).
- Smooth meaning either: 'something is smooth' or 'to smooth something'.
- Shift meaning either: 'a key in the keyboard' or 'a displacement in space'.
- Upper/Lower meaning either: 'an upper/lowercase key' or 'a upper/lower limit for a property'.
- World meaning either: 'the virtual 3D universe itself' (like in: "world coordinates") or 'the visible environment around the scene'.
- Front/Back meaning either: 'put something at the front/back' or 'the front/back face of something'. (perfect example of this is seen in the Empty Image options, you have Depth and Side, both using the same stringsfor their options, which shouldn't happen)
- Pixel Size meaning either: 'the size of the pixel' or 'a size measured using pixels as the unit'.
- Strip meaning either: 'a sequencer strip' or 'a hair shape type'.
- Twist meaning either: 'a verb, like in a operator/modifier name' or 'a name, like in particle's twist property'.
- Open meaning either: 'a verb, like in a operator/modifier name' or 'something that is opened, like smoke domain borders'.
- Path meaning either: 'the location of an archive on disk or a blender datablock' or 'the trajectory of a particle/object'.
- Ease Out meaning either: 'Roll/Scale/Ease Out of B-Bones' or 'the direction of a Wipe transition in the video sequencer'.
- Ease In meaning either: 'Ease In of B-Bones' or 'animation Ease In'.
- Flat Projection method / Mesh plane (material preview) / Blur type
- Roughness Material roughness / Particle's non-uniformness
- Project Projection / Place to store proxy data
- Normal Normal Direction / Usual, typical, default / Color blend mode
- New Create new file (file-new) / Adjective for time remapping / Create new selection
- Keying "Keyframing" / Keying node for compositing
- Clip Start / Clip End Camera view / Light distance
- Back Position (Background) / Interpolation type
- Emission Emission of light / Emission of particles
A lot of strings in UI are untranslatable or badly translatable because same word in English is used with different significant, and in most languages this synonyms have very different translations.
E.g. is the case of "light" (both "weight" and "lamp"), "clip" (both "video" and "cut") or "frame" (both "video part" and "border").
This result in very horrible "international" UI experience, because the result of translation can become something like (in translated UI) "set compression lamp/heavy" instead of "low/high" or "video to border" instead of "cut to border" because of use of synonyms of "light" and "clip".
So, to fix at least more crazy situations, gettext context must be added or english strings must be changed (e.g. "light" in scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render_layer.py:86 can be changed in "lightS", "lamps" or better "light group").
In my actual translation task also different peoples manifested same problems (with french, spanish, chinese... not secondary languages!...), but adding gettext contexts require to unfreeze this kind of changes that are freezed from march 2013... 2 years is too much!
Please support unfreezing for better user experience!