Short description of error
I have deployed Blender with a custom startup scene and some enabled addons on a network drive, so that every user here can run Blender from there with all the settings and addons.
The problem is that the users can't generate their own startup/settings because the config folder on the server has a higher priority than the user config (they would change the settings for all users, they see the last opened scenes from all users, and so on).
This doesn't make sense at all, and it is different in all other software I can think of. User settings should always override system settings (or "local settings" to stay in the official Blender terms as it is the config in the unzipped blender folder).
So if a user hits ctrl+U, the settings should be stored in his user folder (and loaded from there next time he starts it)
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- download a zipped Blender installation
- unzip it to a network drive
- create a custom startup file and enable some addons and store this configurations with the blender install (\\networkdriv\blender-2.73a-windows64\2.73\config)
- let a bunch of users run Blender from there and inspire them to configure Blender to their needs
- hear them cry when someone else has overwritten their configurations