Windows 8.1 x64
AMD HD 7870
Short description of error
I am writing a Add-On which procedurally generates a mesh. The mesh can have a lot of spikes. I used Smart UV Project for creating UV-Coordinates and saw that the texture space is sometimes overlapping with another texture space of a different face. I know that I could mark seams manually but I want that the mesh and the UV-Coordinates are created automatically.
I was able to reproduce this with a simple plane.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Create a Plane at x,y,z = 0
- Subdivide the Plane two times
- Select one vertex and translate it along the z-axis at position greater than 1.
- Select the vertex after the next vertex of the already moved vertex (I hope you understand what I mean) and translate it along the z-axis at position greater than 1.
- Select the mesh, use smart uv project with angle limit set to 89.00 (FYI: Normally I use 66.00 but the behaviour can be forced with the limit set to 89.00)
- In the UV/Image Editor you can see overlapping texture spaces. I think that isn't correct, isn't it? I thought UV Mapping is a one-to-one mapping.
I posted the bug also on blender.stackexchange.org (http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/34300/smart-uv-project-creates-overlapping-uv-coordinates)