Short description of error
When subtracting (.5, .5, .5) from the output of a high frequency Voronoi cell texture, a pattern which looks suspiciously like the input coordinates emerges:
This *might* be related to the rather unexpected tendency for Voronoi-cell-modified-normals to cause square reflections of round light sources when used in a glossy shader.
The two phenomena occur together, but beyond that I have no idea why either happens or why one would cause the other.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Open voronoi_not_random.blend
- Switch to rendered viewport shading
- Take note of pattern which appears to correspond to input coordinates (takes a fare number of samples to really become apparent)
- Connect glossy shader output to material surface input.
- Note the "square" reflection of the round sun lamp.