Page MenuHome

Sapling tree gen error when objects have åäö in the name
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

System Information
Windows 10 Home (Swedish language)
GTX 1070

Blender Version
Broken: 2.78c
Worked: 2.77a (on windows 7)

Short description of error
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x85 in position 3: invalid start byte

Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
Start blender. Rename default cube to Låda (any name with lowercase åäö will do). User preferences->Addons-> Add Curve: Sapling Tree Gen.
Shift-A->Curve->Sapling Tree Gen.


Event Timeline

I was able to replicate this, but inconsistently. Can anyone confirm if this is a blender issue or something addons need to handle themselves. If it's the addon then how do I fix it?, because I do not know what's causing this.

@Aaron (Abpy) Blender and Python both can handle UTF-8 correctly. But maybe see https://developer.blender.org/T50926, because python on windows by default doesn't use UTF-8 encoding everywhere.

hi, I was under the impression that py does not handle special text characters.
possibly we could add the unicode block to the addon?
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Code_Style says to avoid special characters

Brendon Murphy (meta-androcto) triaged this task as Normal priority.Apr 22 2017, 12:17 PM

@Aaron Carlisle (Blendify), I'll seek clarify adding priority normal,

I have a workaround that uses base64 to pass the string through the addon. It lets you choose the objects but still doesn't show the correct object name in the menu.

hi testing this (following exact reproduce from op) I was able to get the error using the presets & also in ui.
adding

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

to the file header (line1) in __init__.py & utils.py\
& I cannot reproduce the issue

will commit fix soon

awesome, I didn't know file encodings could cause things like this. Its a lot better than my ugly workaround. thanks.