Followup task to T54653 to work on implementing the workflow changes proposed.
(Note: This is currently a lower priority item than fixing bugs to get 2.8 into a usable state for Spring team. But, I'll be working on this when I get time).
There are the following sub-tasks:
Create operator for "Open Drivers Editor" functionality.rBc685c19df95 Basic opening functionality Filtering support to get driven property under mouse at the time the "active" driver
- Abstract out the "Setup Drivers Editor" and "Show this channel" functionality
- Sub-editor mode for drivers in the mode selector
- Eyedropper support for clicking in 3D view and getting menu of common properties to drive, based on item under mouse.
- Basic object support
- Investigate possibility of bone support too. (NOTE: Last time this was tried, it turned out being too complex to accomplish)
- Restore cursor feedback when eyedropper is active (T55147)
- Solve context/src button problems preventing eyedroppers from working in the popover
- Clean up drivers editor ui - rB57b47ebb284 (and followup commits)
Add more space for expressions box Remove "Show Debug Info" checkbox - it's always needed Remove "Update Dependencies" button by making it redundant- Should be ok now without out. It's still in the UI, but will be removed soon
- Remove "Use Self"? Or rename?
- Add optional display of useful hints about syntax for expressions and/or what can be used
- New persistent floating panel UI for editing driver settings
Basic layout- rB7e7680e33bb - Use a modified version of the existing drivers editing panel, and make it a popover Floating panel- rB7a88a7742b5 - This makes the panel a popover. But, it doesn't stay open, or let you open the drivers editor Make floating panel stay open- rBb11a1d5da26 Get "Open Drivers Editor" button working in the popup (i.e probably missing button context info for source property)- rB1ff28c2650a
- Get Copy/Paste dvar operator buttons working (currently always greyed out)
Fix issues where popover still goes away too easily sometimes- Seems to be fixed with rB17ee4836aba now. It may still happen, but it happens a whole lot less now.
- Reduce friction of adding new driver variables / setting up basic single-target drivers
Replace 'Add Drivers' Menu with Popover Panel- rB4605e57b0f6
- Remove old (menu-based) operator
- "Mapping" settings properties (see proposal)
Make setting driver input-target easier(i.e. no more need to change default expression first) - rB9ab26bec276
- Eyedropper for populating input variable settings (see above)