This design task is targeted at contributing and new developers looking for smaller but worthwhile UI tasks. These are meant to be 'paper cuts' - very small UI annoyances that, in aggregate, make things unpleasant or annoying. All of these tasks should be smaller in scope, so that new or occasional developers can handle them.
This is a curated list of items picked from this Devtalk thread. It will be updated with new items over time.
Order of importance:
Very Important - These we should handle before the initial release of Blender 2.80
Somewhat Important - These issues would be nice to do as soon as possible
Less Important - Extra polish, nice to have
? Incomplete - Tasks needing more details before implementing.
- ? T61492: Layer Switching Shortcut Inconsistency
- T57712: Move the transform info away from the header, into the viewport.
- T57690: No way to distinguish enum buttons that support shift-click to select multiple
- T61558: Label alignment in top bar
- T63012: Make status bar symbols follow OS conventions
- T64177: Toolbar icon theming support
- ? T62309: Make enum menus nicer
- T68875: Undo/Redo for text buttons
- T54987: Implement Multi-Object Properties Editing
- T65965: Checkboxes alignment tweaks
- T57687: Properties Node View Hierarchy
- T57710: Clicking on Driven decorator should open the Edit Driver popup
- T57726: The Tool Settings UI should update when holding modifier keys
- ? T57727: Make the “redo” panel also appear in the tool settings tab
- T57731: Make the “redo” panel use the horizontal strip-design
The actual tasks are listed as subtasks under this parent task, with more information.
For new developers who might be interested in tackling any of these, refer to this document about contributing a patch: