Recently, an initial version of the updated approach to the left click keymap was added to Blender 2.8.
This makes it possible to use the active tools, as well as selection, both with the left mouse button. However, there are a few issues still with how it works. Here's a list of things we should improve:
These are issues we should fix before the initial release of Blender 2.80
- T63193: Animation Editor Scrubbing Area.
- It should be possible to click over a Gizmo to select items underneath it. We can solve this by differentiating between a click and a drag, just like we do outside the gizmos.
- T58655 Transform's drag option 'None' doesn't work with LMB select
- In all Editors, it should be possible to deselect by clicking in an empty area. Currently only in the 3D viewport.
- In the Node Editor, it should be possible to move more than just one node by dragging, if more are selected
These issues would be nice to fix, but can be tackled after the initial release on 2.80.
- T59292 In 3D View, we should make Shift+doubleclick toggle loops, rather than always extend (consistent with alt-click behaviour, and makes it possible to deselect loops too)
- As a general rule, Ctrl-click should deselect (just as shift-clicking adds to your selection)
- Box Select by dragging from the left gutter. We can use this empty area to our advantage, so that users can always start a box selection by dragging from here and around items.
- Select all items in-between when holding shift / select individual items by holding Ctrl.
When holding shift to select multiple items, we can select all the items in between.