Operating system: Debian 9
Graphics card: Intel integrated GPU
Broken: 2.79b release
(example: 2.79b release)
(example: 2.80, edbf15d3c044, blender2.8, 2018-11-28, as found on the splash screen)
Short description of error
Encoding to MPEG-4(divx) ignores 'Output quality' settings like, e.g. Perceptually lossless, Medium quality and such. Only 'None, use constant bitrate' works.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
Based on the default startup or an attached .blend file (as simple as possible).
- Load default startup
- Switch to the VSE
- Import any video strip with high quality 1080p footage.
- Switch to properties tabs
- Unfold 'Encoding'
- Choose: Container: Matroska Codec: MPEG-4(divx) Output quality: Perceptually lossless.
- Hit Ctrl+F12 or choose menu option Render > Render animation
- Watch how the results are ugly and low bitrate.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 with different options of Output quality such as 'Very low quality' and 'High quality' and see how the output video files are identical.
The only way to change the output quality is choosing 'None, use constant bitrate' which defeats the purpose of encoding with constant quality quantifier altogether.