Worked: probably, never.
Short description of error
ic_keymap.mesh_select_mode key binding only works with the Industry compatible preset.
Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
- Delete the Blender settings folder.
- Launch Blender, select the Blender 2.80 key bindings.
- Create a new key binding at 3d view -> Object mode -> Object mode (Global)
- Paste ic_keymap.mesh_select_mode as identifier. Bind to \ (it's not used anywhere).
- Go to Object mode, pres \.
- Nothing happens.
- Go back to preferences, select the Industry compatible preset.
- Immediately select the Blender preset again.
- Now it is properly renamed to Switch to Vertex, Edge or Face Mode from any mode and you can now select a mode from the drop-down menu.
- Go to Object mode, press \. It switches from the object mode to the mode you selected.
- Save the preferences, restart Blender.
- \ doesn't work anymore, switch to Industry compatible and back to fix again.