File Browser GUI: Planned Changes for 2.81
After the recent file browser UI design overhaul, we have a couple of TODOs stemming from own plans and user feedback.
These we should probably do for 2.81:
- Add + and - buttons inside the name field (828905190e1, 2aa3e9c67c)
- Store the last used File Browser settings (display type, thumbnail size etc). Store inside Preferences, just like Quick Favorites.
- Make the Options sidebar open by default when saving images, link/append, and possibly others
- Add preference for each temp window to either open as a window or the old full window temp state. (also move Render window option to Preferences for consistency then)
- Add click-in-empty-area-to-deselect to File Browser (42c062c98a)
- Better handling of temp windows, so they don’t ’steal’ each others windows
- Better handling of secondary windows so they always display on top
- Smarter file path controls that work like clickable breadcrumbs, which also allow you to double-click to edit as text
We'd like to experiment with this as an alternative to bringing back the .. item.
- Find & implement a better way to expose file operator options
We didn't want to expose a huge empty side-bar for common cases like save & open, when there are really few settings. So idea was to have the sidebar hidden by default for these, with a prominent way to open it. That's why a big button on the left side-bar was chosen, with the obvious trade-off being that it opens a region on the right. We should re-evaluate on that and decide on a better solution, the trade-off is too apparent.
- Search and file path buttons are barely usable in small areas, needs a solution
We could make the contents a bit more responsive, so buttons are moved into a menu if space is tight. Or we merge the file path and the search button so that when clicking on a search icon button, the file path button turns into the search button.