I mistakenly filed a bug report --> T72856 EEVEE transparency problem with mtpaint PNG
I didn't fully understand the bug and attached a blender file that didn't show the bug properly.
Packing the image file with blender command 'Pack' makes the image
opaque so it is worthless to include a blender document. I will
include a mtpaint PNG image instead and you can load it into
blender 2.81 yourself and see how it renders in EEVEE versus cycles.
I noticed that your forum converts the image to opaque if I try to attach to this post
so I'll use a shareable link that preserves the transparency:
Here is how I created the mtpaint image to reproduce the problem...
- Launch GIMP -->new gimp document -no alpha channel - paint with brush
- save as PNG format with no alpha channel
- Launch mtpaint ---> open the PNG document
- 'Save as' to output the document - one color chosen to be transparent - PNG format
- Launch blender 2.81 (linux) - images > Images as planes
EEVEE rendering doesn't respect the transparent region.
Cycles rendering does respect the transparent region.
Not a high priorty.