rBb79a5bdd5ae0 implemented a new tool "Extrude, Dissolve and Intersect" (now Extrude Manifold) that performs the following sequence of actions:
- dissolves the edges whose faces are coplanar and
- intersects the new edges with the existing geometry.
But this tool needs still to be refined with an Icon.
But while useful, it would be interesting if this tool also supports:
- A boolean-like operation by subtracting internal geometry.
- Display result in real time.
But there are limitations to implementing these items in the existing tool, since it is a macro calling existing operators.
And one of the operators is the translate which is already modal.
Therefore, the purpose of this task is to propose a new tool that can replace the "Extrude Manifold"
Commissioner: ? Core developer or artist, sign off the project, works as client/qa/tests.
Project leader: @Germano Cavalcante (mano-wii)
Groups of faces define prismatic volumes that will have their ends limited by existing geometry.
If any existing geometry intersects the prism, the internal area of that geometry will be subtracted.
The continuation of the prism will depend on the normal of the face it intersects.
- Modeling for window and door space.
- Ease in creating volumes in rectangular bar.
- New tool that will be located between the existing extrusion tools.
- Since Boolean operations are CPU intensive, the booleam operation will not be modal, but a preview should indicate the volume that will be added or subtracted (similar to what is done in other tools such as loopcut).
Time estimate: 2 weeks
- Interface drawing