Page MenuHome

Blender 2.83 Buggy and Glitchy Mantaflow fire animation in Cycles
Confirmed, HighPublicBUG

Description

System Information
PC 1
Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 64 Bits
CPU Ryzen 1700X
Graphics card: Radeon RX 560 Series ATI Technologies Inc. 4.5.13587 Core Profile Context 20.4.1 26.20.15029.20013
8GB RAM

PC 2
Operating system: Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 64 Bits
CPU Ryzen 2700X
Graphics card: nVidia 1660 TI, latest driver
32GB RAM

Blender Version
Broken: version: 2.83.0, branch: master, commit date: 2020-06-03 14:38, hash: rB211b6c29f771
Worked: v2.83 beta (from sometime in May)

Short description of error
When rendering a mantaflow fire or fire + smoke animation in Cycles the result is a glitchy and buggy mess of a file/files.

Exact steps for others to reproduce the error
So I've tried this on 2 different computers and 2 different versions of Blender 2.83 LTS and 2.9 alpha I've been doing this for a week. The results are the same.
And none of the PC's run out of memory or anything. This is a simple mataflow fire animation but there are some really serious show-stopping bugs. I've had Blender crash on me several times. No matter if the output are pictures or a single .mp4 file.

When I render a single frame in Cycles the render is correct most of the time, but not always.
When I render the animation in Cyles, 50% or more of the frames are glitched out.
When I render in EEVEE everything is fine, no problems.
I have also cleared the baked cache many times. And tried different locations.

I have only a single node, Principled Volume attached to the Volume input in Material Output in the Shader editor.
I have tested with many new files not just a single one .blend file.

This is how it Renders in EEVEE, which is correct.

This is the same file rendered in Cycles, that glitches out. This was with jpg output. Have tried with many mantaflow samples settings. Many different output settings. The results are always buggy in Cycles but not EEVEE.

Here's another Cycles render example with another file.

This is the file from the first example. But I have many more with the same problems.

Event Timeline

I would like to add that the viewport for Cycles works correctly.
So I managed to manually render with the "Save Screenshot" menu command.

And this is what it should look like in the final Cycles render

I have the same issue https://developer.blender.org/T77601
Happens only with Adaptive Domain + Noise.

Note: your eevee render is wrong as well. You've got fire were you should have smoke.
Try the same simulation on 2.82a. Get it on https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.82/

While the bug is fixed, open your file on 2.82a, bake it on 2.82a and save.
Open on 2.83.0 and it should render fine.

There is also an issue with VDBs in the volume object [not sure this is related though] T77882: Cycles VDB Artifacts (EEVEE WORKING)

Here's another example with only smoke.

Broken: version: 2.90.0 Alpha, branch: master, commit date: 2020-06-16 18:15, hash: rBc7b03fe9c07a

If you pay attention you'll see halfway through the smoke simulation the simulation brakes, not to mention the glitchy final render.