This task is to discuss the pacht D8286.
this patch includes a new behaviour for when dragging node links.
When releasing over a blank space ir shows up a seach menu to add a node and link automatically with the one you dragged the link.
Based on this RCS proposal: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/bMbbbc/
This behaviour is also presented in other softwares with node editors, so it's a expected behaviour for users coming from other softwares as:
- Unreal Engine: https://youtu.be/icR_EgXrS6o?t=5175
- Unity: https://youtu.be/Ar9eIn4z6XE?t=535
- Houdini: https://youtu.be/j3Qqiy6uC5I?t=289
- You can use the search to filter the node list.
- Shows only the nodes that are compatible with the source socket (the one you dragged from), that is, nodes with sockets of the same type.
- It also respect if you are dragging from input or output so for the list only search for the input/output of the other nodes.
- It knows when you are detaching a node link, so in that cases, it will prevent to not show-up!
- It should support all node editors.
- Maybe some nodes are not filtered in the list, is the case of 'Mix Shader' node and I'm not usre why, so some kind of help into this will be very welcome!
- The part of the auto-link both nodes can be improved a lot, it links to first empty available socket and that's not always the desirable.
- Can be improved adding list of nodes sorted by categories (as SHIFT+A), but atm I think with only the search part is nice to go for a first patch and get some users feedback.
- For UI team: what about an option to toggle on/off this behaviour? (for users don't want the search always) Would it be nice?