Page MenuHome

Many Unicode glyphs fail
Closed, InvalidPublic

Description

In Linux, Debian. Blender 2.91.0 alpha (from blender.org)

Most normal (low) chars, and other latin-related, work fine.
Higher up glyphs and symbols aren't working (although I'm not sure if the unicode value is the problem).

  1. I found the issue when trying to use unicode arrows, which are included in the fonts I tested. I've pasted into Edit mode as well as into the Text Editor and converted to an object.
  2. Conversion to a text object seems to silently fail. The created Text object is selectable in the Outliner but not visible in the 3d viewport.

Here's the object when created from the Text Editor -- visible in outliner but not found in the viewport:

[Edit] I just tested in Windows 10, with 2.90.0 alpha. Has strange issues.
(I used the Liberation Serif font directly from the windows\fonts\ dir.
I tested Liberation Serif in LibreOffice Writer (but I don't know if they include their own).)
Here you can see the very-complete font in LibreOffice Writer, but a strange sparse display of otherwise-sequential unicode chars in blender:

Event Timeline

Campbell Barton (campbellbarton) changed the task status from Needs Triage to Needs Information from User.EditedAug 4 2020, 6:59 AM

Can't redo the error, \u2200 ('∀') works here with SourceCodePro-Regular.

This is missing a blend file with characters that fail.

I can't get to that right now, but this is what I used in the above.
(I know Ton mentioned the rule of requiring the .blend)
For now this is the best I can do: The text in the last Windows sample is here:
U+220x ∀ ∁ ∂ ∃ ∄ ∅ ∆ ∇ ∈ ∉ ∊ ∋ ∌ ∍ ∎ ∏
U+221x ∐ ∑ − ∓ ∔ ∕ ∖ ∗ ∘ ∙ √ ∛ ∜ ∝ ∞ ∟
U+222x ∠ ∡ ∢ ∣ ∤ ∥ ∦ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯
U+223x ∰ ∱ ∲ ∳ ∴ ∵ ∶ ∷ ∸ ∹ ∺ ∻ ∼ ∽ ∾ ∿
U+224x ≀ ≁ ≂ ≃ ≄ ≅ ≆ ≇ ≈ ≉ ≊ ≋ ≌ ≍ ≎ ≏
U+225x ≐ ≑ ≒ ≓ ≔ ≕ ≖ ≗ ≘ ≙ ≚ ≛ ≜ ≝ ≞ ≟
U+226x ≠ ≡ ≢ ≣ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≪ ≫ ≬ ≭ ≮ ≯
U+227x ≰ ≱ ≲ ≳ ≴ ≵ ≶ ≷ ≸ ≹ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ≾ ≿
U+228x ⊀ ⊁ ⊂ ⊃ ⊄ ⊅ ⊆ ⊇ ⊈ ⊉ ⊊ ⊋ ⊌ ⊍ ⊎ ⊏
U+229x ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ⊓ ⊔ ⊕ ⊖ ⊗ ⊘ ⊙ ⊚ ⊛ ⊜ ⊝ ⊞ ⊟
U+22Ax ⊠ ⊡ ⊢ ⊣ ⊤ ⊥ ⊦ ⊧ ⊨ ⊩ ⊪ ⊫ ⊬ ⊭ ⊮ ⊯
U+22Bx ⊰ ⊱ ⊲ ⊳ ⊴ ⊵ ⊶ ⊷ ⊸ ⊹ ⊺ ⊻ ⊼ ⊽ ⊾ ⊿
U+22Cx ⋀ ⋁ ⋂ ⋃ ⋄ ⋅ ⋆ ⋇ ⋈ ⋉ ⋊ ⋋ ⋌ ⋍ ⋎ ⋏
U+22Dx ⋐ ⋑ ⋒ ⋓ ⋔ ⋕ ⋖ ⋗ ⋘ ⋙ ⋚ ⋛ ⋜ ⋝ ⋞ ⋟
U+22Ex ⋠ ⋡ ⋢ ⋣ ⋤ ⋥ ⋦ ⋧ ⋨ ⋩ ⋪ ⋫ ⋬ ⋭ ⋮ ⋯
U+22Fx ⋰ ⋱ ⋲ ⋳ ⋴ ⋵ ⋶ ⋷ ⋸ ⋹ ⋺ ⋻ ⋼ ⋽ ⋾ ⋿

This works for me with 3D-text objects using the font DejaVuSans.

For other text views (console & text editor), the characters render but the width is off - since they're not mono-spaced fonts.

Jaggz H (jaggz) added a comment.EditedAug 4 2020, 11:49 AM

Displays for me with DejaVuSans as well (in Linux).
Investigating DejaVuSans more I found this block of arrows shows the (or a) problem though: Sparse success of glyphs in Blender.
The screencapture at the bottom of this post shows them rendered with DejaVuSans.ttf in my web browser (css directly referencing the local file). Then the same local file used on the object in blender with many failed glyphs.
(.blend attached too)
🠹🡄🡆🠼🠾🡀🡂🠐🠒🠔🠖🠘🠚🠜🠞⭠⭢⭤⭥⭦⭧🠀🠂
🠄🠆🠈🠊🠠🠢🠤🠦🠨🠪🠬🠮🠰🠲🡠🡢🡨🡪🡰🡲🡸🡺🢀🢂
⮈⮊➲⮜⮞⮘⮚➢➣⭪⭬⇠⇢⤌⤍⬸⤑⬷⤐↼⇀⥊⥋⥎⥐
⥒⥓⥚⥛⥢⥤⇋⇌⥦⥨⥪⥬⥮⥯⮄⮆⇈⇊⇆⇄⮀⮂⭾⭿
⇐⇒⇔⇕⇖⇗⇍⇏⟸⟹⤂⤃⤆⤇⬱⇶⇚⇛⭅⭆⭰⭲⭶⭷
⇤⇥⤝⤞↤↦⬶⤅⟻⟼↸⇱⇲⇜⇝⬳⟿↜↝⬿⤳⇷⇸⇺⇻
⭺⭼⬴⤀⬵⤁⬹⤔⬻⤖⮠⮡↰↱⮐⮑⮒⮓↩↪⤣⤤⭚⭛↫↬⤙⤚
⥼⥽⭜⭝⭞⭟↯⭍↶↷⤺⤻⭯⭮⟲⟳⥀⥁🗘⮎⮌⮔🔁⤶⤷⮰⮱
➥➦⮨⮩➩➪🢠🢡⇪⮸➳➵➙➘➾⇰➛➜➺➻◄►◀▶⯇⯈🢐🢒
⌃⌄🢔🢖🢜🢝⮹↞↠⯬⯭isc🠴🠶🢘🢚🔙↢↣⇽⇾⭎⭏⥂⥃⥉⥰
⤼⤽⥶⥸⥷⭃⭀⥱⭂⭈⭁⭇⭋⭌⥆⥅⬰⇴⬲⟴⬾⥇⥹⥻⥺⭄⤪⤨


In further evaluation of DejaVuSans (with fontforge), it seems the missing glyphs (in Blender) do NOT exist at those char locations in the font. However, different software seems to handle substitutions (seemingly within the font/family, based on the style consistency?)

In case the browser was doing some font substitution I tested with LibreOffice Writer. It displays the same glyphs as Firefox. I also tested in Konsole (With DejaVu Sans Mono)

Here is a side-by-side:

Here is Konsole using DejaVu Sans Mono (selected from its dialog, not from a .ttf. It's possible it's using some file somewhere). I'm showing it because, while glyph 0x297c is missing at its direct location in FontForge, Konsole also does something to locate a substitute (OR Konsole is, again, using some other DejaVu Sans Mono).

Now, since this is all such a confusing mess now. I think the main point is that Firefox is referencing the .ttf file, as is Blender.

(Linux seems to make it difficult to locate a font's disk-location from the system font lists. No font-previewer I've found will display file paths. I wrote this shell script to show fonts with paths, in case it helps. Run with:
font-preview--arrows.sh > /tmp/farrow.html
It uses (/usr/bin/)fc-list, from Debian's "fontconfig" package)

Currently Blender doesn't support substituting other fonts when glyphs are missing, from what I can tell this report is requesting this functionality.

Jaggz H (jaggz) closed this task as Resolved.Aug 5 2020, 1:11 AM
Jaggz H (jaggz) claimed this task.

Campbell,
It wasn't specifically that, no; however, I examined the GSUB tables in DejaVuSans (at least the single-substitution tables), and there is no substitution being made [that I can see]. This does seem to imply that these other softwares *are* actually substituting missing glyphs from other fonts.

If I find anything else out (e.g. if some in-font glyph substitution is not being honored) I'll repost (or re-open if I can). For now, this can be closed as Invalid I believe.

Thank you so much.

Jaggz H (jaggz) changed the task status from Resolved to Invalid.Aug 5 2020, 1:12 AM