Like the "Attribute Sample Texture" node, this creates or modifies an attribute based on the sampled values of a volume.
The mapping to the volume is made with point positions.
- The type for writing the result attribute depends on the grid type of the volume.
- The sampling would use linear interpolation between voxels, using builtin openVDB data algorithms.
- When volume level sets are supported, the result should be written as a boolean attribute.
- One basic use case is determining whether points are inside or outside of a volume. Beyond that, this node is more of a foundational building block node for interaction with volume data that could be useful in many different situations.
- The attribute result socket could probably be called "Attribute" instead.
- This node probably makes sense in the volume category, but it's also similar to other existing attribute nodes.
There is a start at an implementation in D11353, however there are still problems to solve.