Top-bar: Open Design Questions
Here are various open UI design questions for the top-bar. Mostly they cover details, but at this point we need to start thinking about answers to those.
T50845 is the parent task of it, in here we should focus on the questions mentioned below.
Top-bar in General
- Should it be possible to hide the top-bar in regular layouts? -- Yes, hiding should be possible.
- How would that work? Shortcut? Dragging of area edge? -- Dragging of area edge. Should behave just like headers (no variable height, hide when dragging edge over some threshold).
- Should top-bar be hidden in fullscreen area mode (Alt+F10, then Alt+F11)? -- Yes. But not in maximized area mode (⇧+Space+bar, or Ctrl+↑).
- How tall should the top-bar and its sub-bars be?
- If there are no operator settings to display, what should the top-bar show instead? A mostly empty bar (e.g. on startup) might be confusing.
Split basic and advanced operator settings
That is, only basic operator settings are visible in the top-bar. There'd be a "More..." button to access advanced ones in a popup.
- In current mockups "More..." button is aligned to the right. How would it behave if space is too limited to show all buttons? Would it overflow other items? (Note that it's currently possible to scroll the content horizontally if needed, like in headers.)
- Would the popup invoked by "More..." only contain advanced operator settings or all of them (current F6 popup)?
- What would the top-bar display if an operator only has advanced settings?
- Would the "More..." become "Advanced Settings"? Would the first 1-3 advanced settings be shown in the topbar, rest only in the "More..." popup?
- How exactly should deleting work? 'x' icon on active tab? Or on hover too?
- Should we show a confirmation popup on deletion? Remember, deleting a workspace cannot be undone.
- Should tabs support reordering (drag 'n drop)? -- Yes, drag 'n drop.
- Should tabs be sized according to text + icons, or should all be of same width?
- What about a right click menu for workspace tabs? What would it contain? -- Rename, Delete, Duplicate.
- Should we hide screen-layout names from the UI? -- Yes. At least to test it.
- In current mockups, operator settings contain a button showing the name of the last executed operator.
- Should that call the "Repeat Last" operator?
- Should "Repeat Last" be in a separate button instead, so it's not mistaken as some "Apply" button?