Animation & Rigging¶
- Slider Operators are now available with hotkeys. ALT+S for smoothing operators and ALT+D for blending operators. PR#107866 Animation: change Slider Popup menu hotkeys
- The iTaSC IK solver now supports keeping root bones (i.e. without parent) positioned where they are, instead of always moving them to the armature's origin. For backward compatibility the old behavior is retained; new armatures will get the new behavior. This can be controlled via the new "Translate Roots" checkbox. (51c2a0f816)
Ctrl-LMBshortcut for channel renaming is removed. It is now used for Extend channel selection (6c4da68ad2).
Extend Paint Mask Selection¶
Duration Display in the Status Bar¶
It is now possible to display the scene duration in the status bar. The
format is the following:
Duration: <timecode> (Frame
<current frame>/<total frames>) The timecode format follows the user
Frame Channels Operator¶
Allows to frame onto the contents of a channel, or a selection of channels. Works in the Graph Editor and the Dope Sheet. PR#104523 It is called with "." on the numpad or right click the channels and choose the "Frame Selected Channels" option. Alternatively press ALT+MMB to frame the channel under the cursor.
Copy Global Transform¶
The Copy Global Transform add-on can now also mirror the transform (606e4b35f2).
- Object but no bone name: the transform will be mirrored relative to the object
- Object and bone name: the transform will be mirrored relative to that specific bone of that specific armature
- Bone name but no object: the transform will be mirrored relative to the named bone of the current armature
Bone Relation Lines¶
Instead of always drawing the relationship line from the head of the child to the tail of the parent, there is now choice for the parent side of the line. This can be toggled between the head and the tail of the bone, where the tail is Blender's original behaviour and is retained as default value (45c1deac4f).
PR#105132 Drivers: Introduce the Context Properties
A special type for driver variable has been added: the Context Property.
The property is implicitly referring to either a scene or a view layer of the currently evaluating animation system. This is a weak reference which does not lead to the scene or view layer referenced from the driver to be linked when linking animation data.
An example when such properties comes in play is referring to a transformation of the active camera. It is possible to setup driver in a character file, and make the driver use the set camera when the character is linked into a set.
New Parent Space transformation¶
PR#104724 Animation: New parent space transformation aligns child objects / armature bones to parent space.
Settings moved to the User Preferences¶
Two view options in the Graph Editor have been moved to the User Preferences (Only Selected Curve Keyframes, Use High Quality Display). (PR#104532 Animation: Move Graph Editor settings to User Preferences)
Key menu cleaned up¶
The "Key" menu in the Graph Editor has been cleaned up. Things that have to do with channels were moved into the "Channels" menu. The rest has been grouped into sub-menus where possible. PR#106113 Animation: Clean up "Key" menu in Graph Editor
Gaussian Smooth Operator¶
PR#105635 A new operator to smooth keyframe data. It improves on the current implementation in the following ways.
- Supports modal operations
- Is independent of key density
- More options in the redo panel
- Smooths sudden spikes more predictable
- Add option to insert keyframes only on the active F-Curve. PR#106307
- Pasting keys in the Graph Editor now has value offset options. PR#104512
- When hitting normalize, the y extents of visible F-Curves are frame automatically. PR#105857
- When the view is normalized, the area outside of -1/1 is drawn slightly darker. PR#106302
- Ignore hidden curves when jumping to keyframes in the Graph Editor. PR#108549
- Added the pin icon to the channels in the Dope Sheet
- Clamp the viewport in the Dope Sheet so channels cannot go off screen. PR#104516
- Clicking the NLA/Graph Editor search box no longer scrolls the items below it. (d1219b727c).
- NLA track Solo button has been moved on the to be right aligned to group it logically with Mute, Lock track buttons.(d8024135a5).
- NLA strips can now be dragged horizontal through other strips on the same track (8833f5dbf9).
FCurve key deduplication + exposing the innards of
New functions on
deduplicate(): Removes duplicate keys (i.e. when there are
multiple keys on the same point in time) by retaining the last key of
those duplicates based on their index in the
sort(): Ensure the keys are chronologically sorted. -
handles_recalc(): Recalculate the handles, to update 'auto'-type
fcurve.update() actually performs
sort() and then
handles_recalc(), and now those two steps are exposed as individual
functions as well.
Note that in Blender 4.0
fcurve.update() will also be calling the